Important Words to Know About Substance AbuseFebruary 20, 2020
Substance abuse can just be described as a model of the serious practice of any substance intended for mood-altering purposes. “Substances” can combine alcohol and other drugs (illicit or not). Here are a few Important words to know about substance abuse.
- Addiction – Addiction is a mental and physical disability to quit practicing a chemical, drug, activity, or substance, even though it is affecting both mental and physical health. How to identify the addiction patients? A person is said to have an addiction when they are dependent on a substance like alcohol or other kinds of drugs that they crave constantly. There are some addictions also involve an incapability to end participating in activities, such as gambling, working or eating. In these cases, you may have behavioral addiction.
- Depressant – A depressant is a drug that slows down a person. A doctor will prescribe depressants only to help people who are extremely anxious, angry or tense all of the time. A depressant can relax the body’s muscles and make people sleepy. Depressants also reduce stress. Some people use depressants illegally and can seriously harm their bodies.
- Hallucinogen – This a type of drug that can change a person’s mood and make them hear or see things that aren’t really there. LSD is a hallucinogenic drug.
- High – This word refers to a feeling that the drug users want to achieve. It is a temporary happy or blank state that makes a person feel like they are in control of things that are beyond their control. Some dangerous drugs make people so high that they think they can fly. These people can injure themselves badly or even die if they jump off of high surfaces under the assumption that they can fly.
- Inhalant – An inhalant refers to substances like gasoline or glue. These are sniffed or huffed in order to get an immediate high. An inhalant produces a feeling of being drunk. This is followed by uncontrollable sleepiness, dizziness, staggering and confusion.
- Narcotic – Narcotics are substances that dull a body’s senses and leaves the person less alert or aware. It relieves pain and stress. But narcotics can make a person go into a coma. They will cause convulsions at times. Codeine is a well known narcotic and doctors will prescribe them to treat pain. But some narcotics like heroin have seriously dangerous side effects and they are illegal.
- Stimulant – A stimulant can speed up the body and the brain. Cocaine and methamphetamines are known as stimulants and they display effects that are totally opposite to depressants. Stimulants make a person feel energized and high. However, when its effects wear off, the person feels incredibly sick and tired.
Drugs are extremely harmful substances and even legal drugs should be taken under the care and supervision of responsible adults. A drug ruins not just a person’s body and mind, but their entire lives and the lives of those who love them. If you are looking for reliable and successful drug treatment centers, reach the treatment centers in Columbus Ohio to find the way towards recovery and sobriety.